Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Luck of the Draw and Other Stories


There's been so much going on with Icy Road Publishing! The last two months things have been ticking along, very quietly, as I make up my mind on how to proceed.

Back in July, when I was miserable with a bunch of bad teeth, I made up my mind that 2019 was going to be a record year. So when I had about 50% of "Luck of the Draw" finished, I up-loaded it to WattPad, just to see if I could get some eyeballs and some feedback.

Well -- "Luck of the Draw" got a lot of attention, and got on the Long List for the 2018 Watty Awards. I'm still not sure how that happened, but I'm sure glad it did. Now, 800 other works have been on that list all year, so there's little chance that "LotD" will make any headway, but getting some interest has really perked me up.

With that bit of encouragement, I finished up "Luck of the Draw" (set in Andover, Ohio) and sent out other I. C. Talbot stories to a family member for Beta reads. Also on the list for 2018 is "Maizie's Diner" (set in Ashtabula Harbor), and "A Little Stimulation" (set in Cleveland, Ohio) and "A Ride in the Park" (set in Victorian England).

I picked up the rest of the Volume 3 and Volume 4 short stories and added them to the que. So now, there is a list of 36 of Mom's short stories to be worked on this year and published in 2019.

WattPad.com is a nice place to get some feedback, but the website itself is slow and quirky. Like just an hour ago, all my covers were changed to the cover of "Luck of the Draw" and I had to change them all back.

The site is a lot like Authonomy, but seems to have missed all the foolishness that turned Authonomy from a serious site for writers into a playground for Trolls looking for LULZ.

So stay tuned. The family has banded together and if we can keep this ball rolling we should have a great 2018 and 2019 here at Icy Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment